Photo: Illustrative image for the 'OXLEY'S CORNER' page

Newspaper cutting from 1931

By Bruce Macphee

Many older residents will remember the location of Baldwin's newsagents at 1, Chapel Street, being known as "Oxley's Corner", and for many years this was painted on the brickwork.  For those who didn't know the origin, the attached obituary notice (which appears to date from 1931) gives an explanation and also some other snippets of Newhaven history.

Mr. and Mrs. Oxley had no children and the business subsequently passed to a Mr. Baldwin, who had been Mr. Oxley's assistant.  As can be seen, Mr. Oxley was a very devout churchman and therefore would not consider opening on a Sunday, and a covenant was put on the building to this effect, somewhat inconvenient for a newsagent!  That is why in subsequent years, Mr. Baldwin's son and, later, granddaughters, ran two shops, the one in Bridge Street (Book & Bacca) being able to sell Sunday papers.

Mr. Oxley's house "Mahala", 2 Brighton Road, later fell victim to the Newhaven "improvements", being demolished in preparation for the ring-road construction.

This page was added by Bruce Macphee on 02/01/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.