IOW Ferry laid-up at Newhaven

By Stephen Morris

Southsea was built by Denny's of Dumbarton in 1948 for the Portsmouth - Ryde Isle of Wight route. She was one of 3 sister ships, the others named Brading and Shanklin.

She was 200 ft. in length, with a broad beam of 47ft., displacement 986 gross tons and had a passenger capacity of about 1000 persons.

She served on the IOW route for 40 years until 1988, and after a final cruising season was moved to Falmouth.

In 1991 her owners Sea Containers moved her to Newhaven where she remained until 1997. The Meeching towed her to Portsmouth where a group of enthusiasts were hoping to restore her for coastal cruising.

After being moved to Southampton she was finally sold for breaking up. Finally being towed to Denmark for scrapping in 2005.

Photo:Looking smart at the Marine Workshops

Looking smart at the Marine Workshops

Photo:Awaiting her future

Awaiting her future

Photo:Looking rundown and moved to Railway Quay

Looking rundown and moved to Railway Quay

This page was added by Stephen Morris on 13/04/2017.
Comments about this page

The third photo predates the top two, Stephen. She was shifted from this spot on the Railway Quay up to the location outside the Marine Workshops where she continued to decay.

Eventually the Town Council insisted that she be smartened up, and so she was - on the starboard side only!

All three sisters were reliable workhorses on the Portsmouth-Ryde route. A bit claustrophobic on a rough crossing with everyone crammed in below decks, but a very pleasant and stable crossing in good weather. A lot more pleasant in a 'blow' than the fast ferries that replaced them.

By Andy Gilbert
On 14/04/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.