SS SUSSEX

Moored on the North Quay

By John Hills

Photo:North Quay c1902

North Quay c1902

This photograph dates from about 1902, looking north from the old swing bridge. On the left-hand side are Reids Cottages on Denton Island which were demolished in the late 1950's early 1960's.  

Moored on the North Quay is the SS Sussex built in 1896, for the London Brighton and South Coast Railway in the shipyard of William Denny and Brothers of Dumbarton, Scotland.   

Sussex being a replacement for the SS Seaford also built in the same shipyard in 1893. The Seaford having been sank on 22nd August 1895, after a collision with a cargo ship, so the Denny Brothers incorporated an extra watertight bulkhead in the Sussex, which later proved very useful, as on the 24th March 1916 on passage from Folkestone to Dieppe, she was torpedoed by a German U-Boat and her complete bow section forward of the bridge was blown off, but against the odds the Sussex remained afloat and was finally towed to Boulogne.

SS Sussex entered service on the Newhaven - Dieppe route with her maiden voyage being on the 31st July 1896 and would finally be replaced on the route by the SS Paris in 1913.

Sussex was repaired in France after World War 1 and in 1920 was sold to a Greek shipping line and renamed the Aghia Sophia. In 1921 following a fire onboard she was scrapped.

Click picture to enlarge

 

This page was added by John Hills on 07/10/2020.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.