Church Hill, (built 1591)

Built as the home of the Elphick family, it was then occupied by Caroline Catt in 1865, daughter of William Catt of Bishopstone, Tidemills fame. Local children were paraded by on her birthday and were given a penny, a bun and an apple from her butler! After her death on 14th November 1895 the building was transferred to the Convent of the Sacred Heart and it became a boarding school, with many pupils coming from France . Situated in Church Hill, alterations were made to the old house, a new block was built (today flats) plus a Chapel and several lesser buildings including a laundry and dairy. Local families able to afford the fees sent their girls there as well as boys of a very young age.  During the last war, a night bombing attack killed a Nun injured others and this prompted a move to Billingshurst, West Sussex . The Convent was demolished and today a new house and converted flats occupy the site - the gardens and numerous trees have all gone.
The Chapel is now a Community Arts Centre.
(Text by Peter Bailey M.B.E, Newhaven Historical Society)



Courtesy of: Newhaven Historical Society

This page was added by James Stevens on 12/06/2007.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.