Photo: Illustrative image for the 'FINE VIEW OF THE WEST QUAY' page

Sussex Express Article - May 2010

By Laurie Stonehouse

This fine view of the harbour is dated around 1950, a rare view of the West Quay Road from this era is captured showing no less than twelve people milling about. The large buildings in the background were the bonded and Sheetloft warehouses, this site is now occupied by a car park and a fish shop. While in the far distance are the North Quay cranes, over to right on the Railway Quay are the Marine Workshops now a grade 2 listed building. The massive three legged sheerlegs lifting gear are standing proud, but were eventually surplus to requirments and were felled at dawn in August 1965. Pictures of this felling can be viewed on the website. This section of the West Quay was regenerated from December 2000 and completed in July 2003.

This page was added by Laurie Stonehouse on 24/01/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.