WEST QUAY - 1890

West Quay and Fort Road

By Laurie Stonehouse

This old picture postcard from the 1890's, shows a view from the East Quay looking west towards the West Quay. The dwellings to the right of the photograph are the old Railway Cottages, these buildings are still standing and now have Fort Road addresses. The cluster of structures behind these cottages would be Meeching Court Farm. The large rectangular building to the left of these cottages and behind the vessel is currently No 20 Fort Road occupied by Lewes District Council.  Continuing left is the Detatched House Lorraine which was demolished to make way for a new fire station in 1964, the track that leads up next to this structure must be Lorraine Road.  Grays House owned by Dr Brooks is just in view behind Lorraine. In the distance and in the middle of this picture is the flat roofed building Lightlands. The building with the four points to the right of the track is a lower part of Hillcrest Road, continuing left there is a  further section of Hillcrest Road that overlooks the Harbour.

Photo:West Quay and Fort Road - 1890

West Quay and Fort Road - 1890

G Amy Collection

This page was added by Laurie Stonehouse on 08/03/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.