Sussex Express Article - May 2010

By Carol Walton

This month’s picture shows an old photograph of the West Quay.

This fine view of the harbour is dated around 1950, a rare view of the West Quay Road from this era is captured showing no less than twelve people milling about. The large buildings in the background were the bonded and sheet loft warehouses; this site is now occupied by a car park and a fish shop. In the far distance are the North Quay cranes, and over to the right, on the Railway Quay are the Marine Workshops, now a grade 2 listed building. The massive three legged sheerlegs lifting gear are standing proud, but were eventually surplus to requirements and were felled at dawn in August 1965. Pictures of this felling can be viewed on the website. This section of the West Quay was regenerated from December 2000 and completed in July 2003.  Additional pictures of this area from other years can also be viewed on the OurNewhaven website.

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'WEST QUAY' page
This page was added by Carol Walton on 16/06/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.