Picture dated 12th July, 1949

By John Hills

An interesting picture taken in 1949 which shows the harbour before the large development around the " old mud/sleepers hole "  which is where the old river path eddied before exiting to the sea in Seaford bay. Also  " the Narrows " the part of the harbour between the green light on the west side and the base of the east pier, which formed the new river mouth, which was created to alleviate the flooding of the valuable growing/grazing land in the valley to north of Newhaven.

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'NEWHAVEN HARBOUR AERIAL VIEW 1949' page

From the private collection of John Hills

This page was added by John Hills on 13/05/2009.
Comments about this page

It looks like they've done a temporary 'fix' of the breach in the east pier which was made to stop it being of use in the event of a German invasion in WW2. The playing field on east side is also clearly visible in this shot, round about where Baker Street and the terraced streets by the Engineer Public House.

By Rob Patten
On 23/01/2009

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.