Looking west from Denton Island c1908

By John Hills

Photo:c1908 looking west from Denton Island

c1908 looking west from Denton Island

Picture postcard

This scene can be dated to around c1908 as in the picture we can see all the houses in Norman Road (the last row of houses centre/left of picture)have been completed, building work started in Norman Road in 1898 and all the properties in the road completed by 1909.

This area in the foreground was called "Washers Wharf" back in the early 1900's. The ring road, North Way, follows much the same course today.

The dredger on the left is the 'Hercules', built in 1842. Moving to the right through the gap are the building in Bridge Street, the 'Co-op' stores, boasting two storeys, next is the three storey Towner Brothers steam Flour Mill with its tall chimney and to the right of the Mill are the buildings of the Tipper brewery, moored outside is the paddle tug "Tipper" named after this famous brew. The dredger to the right with two funnels on this side of the river is the self propelled 'Neptune'. 

At the top of the picture St Michaels Church is visible with the Newhaven Union Workhouse just to right of the church.


Click picture for a  larger more detailed version.

This page was added by John Hills on 31/05/2020.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.